A SOUTH Cheshire couple whose dream holiday to the Dominican Republic was ruined by food poisoning have been awarded £10,000 compensation.
Christine and Christopher Perry, from Kempton Avenue in Crewe, flew out to the luxury Caribbean beauty spot for a month-long holiday in the sun.
But within days of reaching their destination they began to feel ill and gradually got worse as the holiday went on.
Now, after a three-and-a-half year legal battle against Internet tour operator MyTravel.com they have finally been awarded the payout
Mrs Perry said: 'Within two days of arriving at the hotel we started to feel ill.'
The couple were amongst 71 holiday-makers who became ill during 2002 after staying at the Hotel Boca Chica.
Mrs Perry says she saw food being re-served, animals in the restaurant and open buffets attracting flies.
She added: 'After about 10 days the tour operator sent in their own health and hygiene inspectors and moved us to another hotel.
'By the time I got home I had lost more than a stone in weight. Unfortunately, as a result of this holiday illness, my husband has now been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome.'
Suki Chhokar, a partner from Stock-port-based solicitors Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, said: 'Most of our clients from the Boca Chica Hotel were suffering from vomiting, severe abdominal pains and diarrhoea.'
MyTravel spokeswoman Pauline Mc-Laughlin said: 'We take the health and safety of our customers very seriously.
'This was an isolated incident that occurred more than four years ago and we have ceased working with the hotel in question.'