A RURAL Christmas card shop celebrated 50 years of fundraising for a host of charities.
Volunteers from the Cards for Good Causes Charity Christmas Card shop based in the Baptist and Methodist Church, Tarporly, welcomed MP Stephen O’Brien to toast the occasion.
The shop was celebrating 50 years of the founding of the 1959 Group of Charities, which included the British Diabetic Association and NSPCC, among others, who got together in 1959 to coordinate publicity for their charity Christmas cards.
By 1964 the charities began selling cards from empty shops in town centres and in 1988 Cards for Good Causes Ltd was formally established as the trading arm of the 1959 Group of Charities.
Cards for Good Causes now runs more than 300 Christmas card outlets nationwide and in the last five years has raised more than £20m for the charities.
Because Cards for Good Causes keeps its overheads to an absolute minimum the charities receive 75p in every pound from their cards sales.
The shop was started by Winnie and Tom Simcock 20 years ago, and was taken over by Mary Thompson 10 years ago.