A FORMER publican developed cancer after being given contaminated blood during an operation.

James McPeake, 78, the former licensee of The Nag’s Head at Mickle Trafford, died on June 1, at Oaklands Nursing Home, Littleton, an inquest at Warrington heard.

Grandfather Mr McPeake, who had lived at York Drive, Mickle Trafford, underwent a heart bypass operation in 1998 but received contaminated blood and contracted hepatitis C which led to liver cancer.

Assistant coroner for Cheshire Dr Geoffrey Roberts said liver cancer was the ultimate cause of death. Other conditions present at death were hepatitis C and peripheral vascular disease.

Mr McPeake’s daughter Karen said her mother, who had suffered from Alzheimer’s Disease, had died last year aged 74 after 53 years of marriage.

Her father had suffered a stroke in August last year. While recovering in hospital he fell and fractured his hip.

He then picked up MRSA either at the Countess of Chester Hospital or Ellesmere Port Hospital which led to his right leg being amputated above the knee.

Ms McPeake said her father retained his sense of humour throughout most of his ordeal.

Mr McPeake was discharged to the Oaklands Nursing Home but deteriorated from the beginning of May. Verdict: misadventure.