FREEZING conditions hampered attempts to extinguish a house fire in Mollington in the early hours of this morning (Friday December 3).
Fire crews from Chester were called to a farm house on Coalpit lane at around 3am to reports of a chimney fire.
But when they arrived crews discovered a fire involving a leaking oil burner in the utility room of the house.
Watch Manager Neil Harrison said: “We were then dealing with a fuel fire, which had meant the property had actually caught alight. So we had to call for two other appliances.
“But we had a host of problems. Because the temperature was so low our hose reels were getting frozen up. So rather than coming at the fire from two directions we kept having to rotate the appliances to deal with them freezing.
“It was also a very slippy out there, and any water that went on the ground it just froze.”
The fire crews had to use foam to extinguish the fuel fire .
Watch manager Harrison added: “Luckily the fire was in the utility room which was an extension on the side of the house. So we managed to prevent it from spreading to the rest of the large farm house.
“We were dealing with a very difficult situation.”
“The utility room and storeroom above the house were badly damaged, but luckily the rest of the house was OK, just a bit smoky.”