FIRE crews were called out to a derelict pub in Helsby on Thursday (April 16).
Reports had come in that smoke was coming from the Horse and Jockey, Chester Road, at 1.30pm.
Anthony McCarthy, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service green watch crew manager, said: “The pub is all boarded up but it is believed that someone has entered the property and caused a fire either by a discarded cigarette or deliberately.
“The fire had been started behind the bar and the room was heavily smoke-logged.
“We used a positive pressure fan to clear the smoke before making the area safe.”