A FAMILY was saved from a house fire started by a faulty fridge thanks to a life saving home safety assessment.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue service were called to the Upton Park address at about 2.10am today (Saturday) to the five bedroom home after a fridge suffered an electrical fault and fire spread through the kitchen.
The family, a mother and father and their two university aged daughters, were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms fitted by the Cheshire Fire and Rescue service and had shut the kitchen door going to be bed, as recommended by the fire service, as a safety measure to contain any fire in the kitchen.
"The home assessment saved their lives," a spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue service said.
"Because of the home safety assessment they got in to the habit of shutting the doors which isolates the fire in the room of origin and prevented any injuries.
"The fire was started by an electrical fault in the fridge freezer.
"We used four offices with breathing apparatus, led by Dave Doneo, with fire fighter Jockey Morrison and Woody Hurley, to extinguish the fire and positive pressure ventilation to clear the smoke.
"Two appliances from Chester fire station attended.
"The red cross vehicle, a voluntary service to assist with people's needs, was in attendance, but the family had neighbours who they were able to stay with over night."
To arrange a free home safery assesment by Cheshire Fire and Rescue service, which includes free smoke detectors and advice, ring 0800 389 0053 or visit www.cheshirefire.gov.uk and follow the link from the home page.