Chester schoolgirl Erin Cross will be the subject of an American TV special that will highlight the pioneering leukaemia treatment she is undergoing in a Seattle hospital.

The documentary, which focuses on immunotherapy and research and airs in America at the end of September, focuses on the lifesaving work that is going on in the Jensen’s lab at Seattle Children’s Hospital, where the six-year-old is having Car T Cell therapy to give her the chance of beating lymphoblastic leukaemia once and for all.

Erin’s mum Sarah, from Upton, is in regular contact with The Chronicle and said the process has been going well so far, although they are prepared for the treatment to make her poorly for a time.

“Erin’s T cells were taken out of the freezer at the Jensen lab last week and brought to Erin’s bedside at the hospital, delivered personally by two researchers so they get to meet the person that the T cells are going to hopefully cure,” Sarah said. “Everything was filmed for the TV special.”

Erin received her first lot of cells at 10.15am then the rest were given at 10.30am. She did great throughout the whole process and we sat on the bed with her and held her throughout it all.

Sarah added: “She sailed through the six-hour close watch after her infusion. They have to monitor her for reaction but she’s done really well so far. She will stay in hospital now until she had recovered from the T cells which could be around 10 days but the team expect her to get very poorly at some point.

“She will get a very high fever and possible increased heart rate and respiratory rate but this is normal and it’s a good sign that the T Cells are working. We are prepared for her getting quite poorly and take comfort from the fact that it will be a sign that the T Cells are doing their job,” added Sarah.

“But throughout, Erin has been her usual self – joking with the doctors and has even arranged a dance off with the nurses here.”

Erin touched the hearts of people in Chester and all over the world in June when more than £100,000 was raised to fund her treatment and put her in remission.

Less than 48 hours after Sarah and her husband Antony issued a heartfelt appeal for help in raising the money, the target had been smashed thanks to an incredible show of public support.