ELECTRICAL maintenance equipment caught fire creating a blaze in a multi-storey car park in Chester city centre.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to the car park on Trinity Street, near to the Gateway Theatre, at about 8.30pm on Friday, January 23, after smoke was seen billowing out the fourth floor of the car park.

White watch manager Chris Rodaway said: “Following an investigation it was confirmed as originating in a storage room and about eight fire fighters with breathing apparatus and thermal imaging went into the area.

“Under difficult conditions they set about stopping the fire. I am very proud of their efforts.”