TO mark the 70th anniversary of the founding of their unit, veteran members of the RAF's 610 (County of Chester) Squadron have built a replica of the aircraft they operated for more than 12 years.
It is representative of the many Spitfires that 610 pilots flew during the Battle of Britain and has the DW code on the fuselage sides.
In the early part of the war 610 was based at Biggin Hill - the most famous Second World War fighter station.
Later it was heavily involved in protecting the Home Counties by shooting down German V-1 flying bombs over the south coast.
In 1946 the squadron's Spitfires returned to their home station at Hooton Park, near Ellesmere Port.
It is intended to maintain the replica as a permanent memorial to the squadron and it will be taken to suitable venues in the region from time to time for display to the public.