A mum from Ellesmere Port has spoken of her family’s heartbreak following the deaths of their two dogs due to suspected antifreeze poisoning.

Jack Russell Terriers Ava and Archie had been playing outside in their owner Katie Davies’ garden on Richmond Court on the afternoon of Saturday, April 23.

But when three-year-old Archie returned inside the house he was sick and looked ‘poorly’ that evening, said Katie.

He seemed brighter the following day so the family thought he must have just had a fleeting bug, but they had to rush him to the vets on Monday morning after he collapsed on the floor.

Sadly, Archie had to be put to sleep and tests carried out afterwards found he had consumed a huge amount of the chemical ethylene glycol which is found in antifreeze.

Related: RSPCA investigated almost 60 animal cruelty cases EVERY WEEK in Cheshire

More tragedy was in store for Katie when she returned home to find two-year-old Ava had been sick.

Vets confirmed Ava also had ethylene glycol in her system and she also had to be put to sleep, after a brave 48-hour fight.

It is thought that the chemical was mixed in with food which was thrown into their garden.

“These dogs meant the world to my family and our two young daughters,” Katie said.

“We are so devastated. How can anyone be so cruel?”

Now Katie is urging anyone who may have seen someone acting suspiciously in the Stanney Grange area between 2pm and 3pm on April 23 to get in touch with police, quoting incident number 840 of April 29.

Rachel Butler, from the RSPCA, told the Pioneer: “We are shocked to hear of these incidents in Ellesmere Port. Nothing has been reported to us as yet, and we’d urge anyone who has any information about these incidents to contact us on 0300 124 999.”

Advice for dog-owners

Ms Butler has warned dog-owners of the importance of keeping an eye on them to ensure they avoid eating anything which looks suspicious.

Signs of animal poisoning vary and can include depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties and bad breath.

If you believe your dog has been poisoned, contact your vet immediately to inform them when, where and how the suspected poisoning occurred.

Katie said she cannot thank Littlecroft Vets in Little Sutton enough for the care they gave Ava and Archie, and praised the ‘amazing’ support and ‘heartwarming’ comments she received from the community after sharing her story on Facebook group Pride in the Port.

“I hope someone somewhere comes forward with information,” Katie added.