A 23-YEAR-old woman escaped after a discarded cigarette set fire to her bedroom.
The blaze broke out in the bedroom of a house in St David’s Terrace, Saltney Ferry but the house had no smoke detectors.
Fire chiefs say she was lucky because a neighbour spotted flames and raised the alarm at 4.23am on Friday (August 8).
The unnamed woman suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital.
Two fire crews from Deeside and Chester wearing breathing apparatus were sent to the incident.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was caused by discarded smoking materials.
The bedroom suffered extensive heat and smoke damage while the rest of the house was damaged by smoke.
Fire chiefs are urging the public to follow safety advice and install smoke detectors.
County Operations Manager Ian Williams said: “She has been extremely lucky that a neighbour called for the Fire and Rescue Service.
“Smoking materials can be dangerous when not extinguished properly. Always ensure that your cigarette is put out properly.
“Ensure that you and your family have an escape plan and that all occupants are aware of this plan.”
He said all homes should have a working smoke alarm installed and they must be maintained regularly by testing the battery once a week and changing it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. You should never disconnect them or remove the battery as they can save lives.
Mr Williams added: “There is no excuse for anyone in North Wales not to have smoke alarms as the Fire and Rescue Service are offering a free home fire safety check for everyone and will install smoke alarms where necessary.”
Ring 0808 1002863 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org