PARENTS were left looking for somewhere to sleep after a coal fire set light to their bedroom.
The man, woman and child were just getting out of the house when fire crews arrived on Vicars Cross Road in Chester at 9.40pm on Saturday, March 22.
Radiated heat set fire to the carpet and front of the bed in the front bedroom. Without smoke alarms, the occupants were unaware of the fire until it was well developed, and furniture, bedding and the carpet were on fire. Firefighters had to clear the room out and also discovered structural damage to the floorboards and joists. They worked until midnight at the house dealing with the “considerable damage”.
They then fitted smoke alarms throughout the house. The fire came 14 months after a similar fire dealt with by the same firefighters in the neighbour’s house.