A FIRE at the McDonalds restaurant on Foregate Street brought Chester to a standstill this lunchtime (Monday, October 6).
Plumes of smoke billowed from the back of the building at around 12.30pm and could be seen across Chester.
Five fire engines were called to the scene and a roof and aerial appliance was used to tackle the blaze.
The restaurant and the surrounding shops were evacuated and the lower half of the street cordoned off.
Police officers held back the crowds while fire crews used entered the building using breathing apparatus.
A police officer at the scene said: “We believe the fire is in the kitchen. Everybody was quickly and safely evacuated.”
A woman who was in McDonalds as the fire started said: “We saw the smoke coming through the vents inside. Somebody shouted “fire”, and we were all told to leave. When we saw the smoke we ran out. It was pretty scary.”
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service are asking people to avoid the area for the time being.