A supermarket had to be evacuated today (Tuesday, April 5) after the alarm system was triggered by an overheated motor in the pump room that operates the sprinkler system.
One customer of Sainsbury’s in Caldy Valley Road, Great Boughton , rang The Chronicle to say they were confused by an intermittent pre-alarm which sounded for some time before the tone changed to signal a full scale evacuation.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 8.45am and everyone was outside by the time they arrived.
Firefighters, who were wearing breathing apparatus, entered the room containing the overheated auxiliary pump where the smoke had been contained behind a closed door. They used a thermal imaging camera to locate the hotspot. No water was used but the electrics were isolated.
Watch manager Ritchie Gerrard of Chester Fire Station said Sainsbury’s called an engineer to fix the problem. He was satisfied correct procedures were followed despite concerns by the member of the public. He said customers were allowed back in ‘almost straightaway’.