A bold set of house rules at a Chester pub are poking fun at the old idea ‘the customer is always right’.
Fed up of patrons making a fuss at the bar, staff at the Marlbororough Arms decided to take action.
Advice to drinkers includes being polite when ordering and not falling asleep in the corner after a heavy night.
You should also make sure you do not bring anyone with you who you would not ‘introduce to your nan and her bingo squad’.
David Edwards from the Marlbororough said: “We wanted to lay down some ground rules for customers and have some fun with it.
“Especially in the bar trade, we hear the mantra the customer is always right.
“You’re coming into a public house, we think of the rules in the same way your mum says take your shoes off when you come in.
“We wanted to make them as fun as possible, but we also mean them because it happens a lot more than people think.”
The St John Street pub is often busy with punters who have some extra confidence after having a drink.
David said it had not taken them long to come up with the guidelines because it all happens so frequently.
Staff at the Marlbororough are preparing for the rules to come in to greater use soon with races season around the corner.
David said: “There’s been a really good reaction to it on social media. We’ve had lots of likes on Facebook and I think it’s quite refreshing people are getting behind it.
“It’s a talking point. People read them when they come in and there’s a nice reaction.
“We get a lot of bartenders coming in and they’ve been really supportive too.”
David added a suggestion of his own which did not make the cut concerned customers making dubious song requests.
But so far it seems the rules have succeeded in improving behaviour.
The list of Marlbororough Arms house rules in full:
1. The bartender is not your therapist.
2. We do not do bar tabs. If you can’t afford a drink it’s time to go home.
3. Saying ‘I’m a friend of Ben’s’ doesn’t mean s***.
4. In here, the customer is always wrong.
5. When we’re busy, please know your order
6. Being loud, drunk and stroppy doesn’t make you next. Being next makes you next sunshine.
7. Don’t ask ‘What shots do you do?’ Anything comes in a shot glass, especially tequila....Mmmm tequila.
8. No sleeping, this isn’t a hotel
9. Don’t bring anyone into our pub that you wouldn’t introduce to your nan and her bingo squad.
What do you think of this story? Have you any suggestions for rules which could be added to the list? Let us know in the comments below.