A CHESTER mum whose son died in the 1989 Hillsborough stadium disaster has welcomed the news an independent panel is to release previously unseen documents in relation to the tragedy this September.
Anne Williams’ son Kevin was just 15 years old when he was one of 96 Liverpool fans who died as a result of the ill-fated FA Cup match 23 years ago.
Since then, Ms Williams has been fighting for a new inquest since the original hearing controversially ruled all victims were dead or brain-dead by 3.15pm, despite Ms Williams having evidence to suggest Kevin was alive until 4pm that day.
And yesterday (Wednesday) the Hillsborough Independent Panel revealed it would release new documents into the tragedy and subsequent investigation on September 12.
The news is significant for Ms Williams, of Newtown, who is preparing a new submission to the Attorney General for a fresh inquest into Kevin’s death.
She said: “I really welcome this as we have waited three years and hopefully by Christmas we will have seen all the documents and submitted the hearing to the Attorney General.
“I do want closure after 23 years and I will never give up, knowing what I know about the inquests and the corruption.
“The panel was supposed to have it released by spring and then they said autumn, and I was wondering if it was going to be put back again but I am pleased we have a date, it feels more real now.
“I hope they have documents showing the corruption, as I have a lot of strong evidence already.”
The panel is to detail its findings to Hillsborough victims’ families first before releasing documents to the public.