A MOTHER and young daughter were evacuated from their house after their washing machine went up in flames.
At 8.50pm on Wednesday (April 20) firefighters were called to a house in Newry Court, Chester after reports of a fire.
The mother and daughter had returned from an Easter camping trip and were washing their clothes when the machine burst into flames.
Crews from Chester Fire and Rescue Service evacuated the family before removing the machine, which was billowing smoke though the house.
Firefighters then used a positive pressure fan to help extract the smoke from the house.
Speaking about the fire Watch Manager Chris Rodaway said: “Domestic appliances are one of the main causes of fires in houses.
“This fire was caused by an electrical defect, but they can be caused by overheating, worn and damaged wiring and overloading.”
No one was hurt in the blaze, which caused smoke damage to the house and totally destroyed the washing machine and clothes inside.