More than a century of tradition comes to an end this Saturday when Chester’s Liberal Club closes its doors for the last time.
The private members’ club to the rear of Nicholas Street is mainly used for darts and snooker nowadays but is not making enough money to pay the bills.
The original club, in Foregate Street, was opened in 1883 by Herbert Gladstone, youngest son of Liberal Prime Minister William Gladstone (1809-1898).
An extraordinary general meeting (EGM) in March agreed the closure of the club would probably be announced in about six months’ time.
In a statement to members, board chairman Tim Misson and secretary Michael Smith said: “It is regretfully confirmed that the club will close its doors for the last time on August 31, 2013.
“As mentioned at the EGM, and in spite of the greatest endeavours of the directors, it is not possible to continue trading with the current losses being incurred.”
A number of assets are being sold off including two snooker tables, a large screen TV, tables and chairs.
The statement added: “The directors would like to thank its members, both past and present, for their support over many years.”
The club, which is in the basements of 16 and 18b Nicholas Street, is run under a leasehold arrangement with landlord Bartletts Solicitors, which is upstairs.
It had been threatened with closure in 2009 but the members managed to keep it going.
The club is managed separately from the Liberal Democrat Party, although one room was used for party meetings in the past.
The whole of 18 Nicholas Street, formerly occupied by an eye surgeon, was bought for the joint use of the club in about 1925.