A TRAINEE chef who pleaded guilty to rape will apply to change his plea to not guilty and have a re-trial, four months after he was convicted.
Mark Caunce, 21, of Victoria Road, Buckley had previously admitted raping and inflicting grievous bodily harm on a 30-year-old Chester woman in January, eight days into a crown court trial.
The woman, who had been on a night out with friends, suffered a broken nose, fractured eye socket and cheek bone, and multiple bruises to her head and face.
The attack took place on Sunday, July 26, last year.
Caunce appeared at Warrington Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday) and instructed his legal team to apply to change his plea to not guilty.
At a previous appearance at court when the judge had wanted to sentence Caunce, his legal team had withdrawn from the case.
His new barrister, Mark Stanger, told the court yesterday ‘he wishes to change his plea’ and the application would involve evidence from his previous legal team.
Judge Nicholas Woodward expressed his concern that the case had been going on for a long time but said he would listen to an application for change of plea. Caunce will next appear at Warrington Crown Court on Friday, June 4, where his legal team will apply to the judge to change his plea.