CHESHIRE Fire and Rescue Service, in conjunction with B&Q Chester, are advising everyone to check their Christmas tree lights.
You are 50% more likely to die in an accidental house fire during the Christmas period than at any other time of the year.
This festive season Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to stay safe and protect their homes from fire by following 12 tips for festive fire safety:
• On the first day of Christmas - Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard. Always use an RCD on outdoor electrical equipment (safety device that can save lives by instantly switching off the power).
• On the second day of Christmas - Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Don't leave them burning unattended.
• On the third day of Christmas - Make sure your family and visitors staying for the festive period know what to do in an emergency. Practice a fire escape plan.
• On the fourth day of Christmas - Decorations can burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters.
• On the fifth day of Christmas – Switch off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they’re designed to stay on. Take special care with Christmas lights. Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights before you go to bed.
• On the sixth day of Christmas - Celebrate Christmas and New Year safely. The risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after alcohol is consumed.
• On the seventh day of Christmas - Most fires start in the kitchen – never leave cooking unattended.
• On the eighth day of Christmas - If you are planning to celebrate with fireworks, store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
• On the ninth day of Christmas - Make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished.
• On the 10th day of Christmas - Check the battery in your smoke alarm every week and use Christmas as a reminder to clean it and remove dust.
• On the 11th day of Christmas - Keep candles, lighters and matches out of reach of children.
• On the 12th day of Christmas - Take the time to check on elderly
relatives and neighbours this Christmas - make sure they are fire safe.
Your local fire station can come to your home to check for any fire risks and install free working smoke alarms on each level of your home. Call 0800 389 0053 to request a check.