A PET dog was saved after firefighters were called to a kitchen blaze in Handley, near Tattenhall, on Friday morning.

The fire involved an unattended chip pan which caught fire in a home on Whitchurch Road at about 1.45am.

Crews from Chester Fire Station attended the property and put out the fire, with two members of the family being taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation.

Teams also had to rescue the family’s pet dog, a Jack Russell, from the property.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman has called for residents to check their smoke alarms are working and warned residents not to leave chip pans unattended.