SIGNIFICANT safety measures have been installed at a Cheshire hotel following the death of a teenager who was found drowned in a lake last year.
Last week. an inquest jury unanimously ruled that 18-year-old Haydn Evans from Mold died as a result of accidental drowning after he was escorted out of his work’s Christmas party at the Carden Park Hotel in Broxton on December 16 last year.
The construction worker was missing for two weeks before his body was recovered from the lake by divers.
The inquest, held at Warrington Coroner’s Court, heard that in the months since Mr Evans’s death, Carden Park had made a number of improvements in its safety measures at the hotel.
They include extra training for staff when dealing with drunk customers, improved CCTV images and 24-hour lighting surrounding the lake.
A barrier is also installed between the lake and the hotel’s Chinese Garden.
A spokesperson for Carden Park confirmed that the changes had been implemented and said: “Once again, everyone at Carden Park extends their condolences to the family of Haydn Evans. As the jury concluded, his death was a tragic accident.
“Carden Park has been liaising closely with the HSE and a number of measures including improved lighting and fencing have been implemented to further improve the safety and security of all guests and staff.”
A Cheshire West and Chester Council spokesman added: “Carden Park Hotel has implemented a number of improvements since Mr Evans’s death last year including improved CCTV, lighting at the lake switched on 24 hours a day, a barrier between the Chinese Garden and lake, and a system in place to look after people who may be ejected from the premises.
“More than 1,400 licensed establishments across the borough have also been informed of good practice and their obligations in the run up to the Christmas party season to reduce the risk of any repetition of a similar tragedy and to ensure compliance with Licensing and Health and Safety Legislation.”