AN ANGRY passenger says morning commuters will be stranded following a bus service cut.
Helen Richardson presently picks up the X11 Liverpool-Chester service in Little Sutton every morning to get to work in Chester.
But from January 7 bus operator Arriva is reducing the X11 to once an hour and eliminating some earlier services.
Mrs Richardson said: 'From January the service I and many others use to get to work in Chester will only start at 8.39am. What use is that? How will that get people into work by 9am? It's going to be a nightmare.
'I can understand Arriva wanting to cut off-peak services after 9am but not the two in the early mornings, as well as making it hourly.
'There's an awful lot of people on the A41 who rely on this bus to get to work. But many of them don't seem to be aware that the service is changing.'
Mrs Richardson, who picks up the X11 outside the Red Lion pub, said there are alternative buses but these go through Cheshire Oaks, thus delaying the journey.
She has started a petition and attracted a dozen names so far, but is calling for more support from passengers.
She added: 'I've also asked borough MP Andrew Miller to look into it.
'The Government wants people to leave their cars and use public transport, but how can they when Arriva are cutting vital services?'
Derek Bowes, commercial manager for Arriva North West and Wales, said: 'As part of a review of services in the area, the X11 will be reduced to operate an hourly service from January 7.
'Mrs Richardson will still be able to catch the bus into Chester at either 7.39am or 8.39am. As with any changes, we will monitor customer feedback and, if necessary, may look to make further amendments.' nCllr Justin Madders (Labour, Ledsham) has called for support to stop proposed changes to a bus service in Little Sutton. He was speaking after Arriva announced plans to alter the popular 404 service.
He said: 'The proposals from Arriva are that it in the New Year the 404 service will no longer visit much of Ledsham ward, including Gleneagles Road/Ripon Avenue and Wetherby Way.
'I am concerned at the effect the removal of the service will have on those who rely on it, particularly the elderly, and have asked the District Public Transport Liaison Committee to express their concerns.
'We do need local people to support the service though in order to make the case stronger for retaining it and I hope that if people realise they may lose the service they will use it whilst they still can.'
Victory for protestors as service improves
A COUNCILLOR has persuaded bus bosses to step up the frequency of an Ellesmere Port service.
The number seven route, which serves parts of Whitby and the Hope Farm estate, used to run every 20 minutes before being cut back to once every two hours.
But users complained to County Councillor Brian Jones (Lab, Groves & Whitby) that after free pensioners' travel encouraged more people to travel by bus the service became too infrequent.
Cllr Jones raised the issue with County Hall chiefs and has now won a pledge that as from January 8 next year the number seven will run every hour.
Cllr Jones said: 'A survey of how well used the route was used was carried out, but that was before the free transport was brought in.
'I asked if another survey could be done to reflect the situation after the free passes were introduced, and I'm glad to say this showed that more people were using it and that it ought to run more frequently.
'It has now been agreed that it will run hourly, which I think is quite a good compromise.'
He added: 'The thing with buses generally is that if people actually use them we can sometimes get improvements to the service.'