A COOKER fire was started in a Chester home this afternoon after an oven tray was left smouldering and unattended.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to the address on Raymond Street, Chester, at about 1.30pm today (Thursday).

A spokesperson said: “Upon arrival fire fighters found a cooker left unattended by residents. The oven had been left on to preheat in preparation for food causing a tray with oil in to smoulder, giving off fumes. Firefighters ensured the mains supply was off and removed the trays from within the oven allowing them to cool.”

If you require smoke detectors fitted free call 0800 389 0053.