A DISCARDED cigarette caused a blaze in a bedroom in Blacon last night (Sunday, November 1).
Chester fire crews were called to a property on Nevin Road at 10pm to find a fire in a bedroom.
A 61-year-old woman had been cleaning in her spare bedroom when she dropped a cigarette and started the fire.
Watch manager Dave Doneo praised the woman for quickly shutting the bedroom door to prevent the blaze from spreading.
He said: “She did exactly the right thing and shut the door and left the premises. Both of her fire alarms that had been fitted by Chester Fire and Rescue Service were activated.”
The woman had collapsed outside the property and fire crews gave her oxygen and called an ambulance.
She received medical treatment at the scene.
Two fire men entered the premises with breathing apparatus to extinguish the blaze. Once the fire was out a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke.