JOSE ENRIQUE believes he will settle quickly at Anfield because there are so many quality players around him.
Liverpool’s new left-back enjoyed a promising debut in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Sunderland at Anfield.
Enrique slotted straight into the back four after just one training session with the Reds following his £5.5million move from Newcastle.
And the Spaniard says the calibre of his new team-mates will help to bring out the best in him.
“I am not 100% because I have to train more with the team,” he said.
“I need to get to know everyone and they need to get to know me but I was very happy to play and the atmosphere on Saturday was amazing.
“I think in the next few games if I continue to play it will be easy to understand players of this quality. It will be really easy to play with great players like Luis Suarez.
“I just want to do my work and be important for the team. It will be different to Newcastle where I had to attack a lot more.
“Here we have amazing players in front of me. On Saturday I had (Stewart) Downing in front of me who played very well.
“Of course I will still be able to attack here but the first thing I must do is defend because that is my job.”
Enrique’s switch to Anfield has seen him reunited with striker Andy Carroll.
The 25-year-old defender, who played alongside the striker at St James’ Park, has no doubts that the Reds’ record signing will deliver for Kenny Dalglish’s side this season.
“For us in Newcastle Andy was brilliant and I am sure he will be brilliant for Liverpool too,” Enrique said.
“He is a very good player. When a club like Liverpool pays £35million for Andy, I know it is not lucky. It is because they think he is a good player. I am sure he is going to do a lot of things for us.
“I watched him play last season and I knew he wasn’t fit here. I don’t care if the player is Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, if a player is not fit, he is not fit.
“Now he’s okay, is playing very well in his position and is going to be an important player this season.”
Mean-while, skipper Steven Gerrard remains on target to return to action in mid-September.
The Reds midfielder is making good progress at Melwood after being treated in hospital earlier this month for an infection linked to the groin surgery he underwent in April.