A RENEWED bid to get Nantwich police station back open will be made next week.
The head of Crewe and Nantwich Police, Superintendent Mary Roberts says she is 'very disappointed' Nantwich Town Council turned down her offer to open the mothballed Beam Street police station two days a week on a 50-50 funding basis.
She said had the offer been taken up for a six months' trial, as had been suggested, it could have added weight to her efforts to have it opened on a more regular basis.
She told a police forum meeting the offer was still on the table.
Town councillors rejected her original offer because they would have had to pay half the costs - about £2,290. They said it would be double taxation for Nantwich people who already paid for police cover in their council tax bills.
The new bid will come up at Monday's meeting of Nantwich Town Council and Cllr Joyce Stockton is due to have talks with the Superintendent.
Cllr Stockton said: 'I cannot say at this stage what my offer will be, but I am hopeful it will be taken up.'
But Cllr Arthur Moran said: 'It would not have been a double taxation because the money is already there in council reserves.
'If the offer had been taken up the police station would be open two days a week. Now we have to go through the whole thing again.
'We are lucky Supt Roberts is giving us a second chance.
'Nantwich is a fast growing town and we must make every effort to get the police station open.'
The town council was also condemned at the police forum by former chairman Bill McGinnis.
He said: 'The town council shells out money for all kinds of things.
Yet faced with one of the most important issues of recent times it cannot come up with £2,290. It is imperative Nantwich has an active police station.'