FLUFF in a tumble dryer could have started a devastating fire which caused extensive damage to a kitchen in Beeston Street, Castle, Northwich.
The fire was in danger of spreading to the rest of the house when two crews of firefighters from Northwich and Winsford arrived to tackle the blaze.
Fortunately the occupants, a brother and a sister, aged 19 and 21, managed to escape unhurt.
Northwich Fire Watch manager Alan Jones said: “Their parents were both out at work at the time when the girl noticed smoke coming from the back of the tumble dryer.
“She immediately roused her brother who was asleep upstairs and phoned for help. They remembered to close all the doors before they left, and this held the fire back until we arrived. When we arrived we were faced with a severe fire which was just about to break through to the rest of the house.
“It was probably caused by a build-up of cotton and fibre in the machine which gets into the electrics.
“If it is at all possible we recommend that you regularly clear the fluff out of tumble dryers and also dryers in washing machines.”