Login Register

Pop concert plan faces scrutiny

RESIDENTS are invited to a public meeting to discuss a planned pop concert on their doorstep.

RESIDENTS are invited to a public meeting to discuss a planned pop concert on their doorstep.

Monday's meeting comes in a response to a proposal to stage the Chestermania 01 event for up to 25,000 fans on September 23 in a field off Plough Lane in Christleton.

Organised by Christleton Parish Council, the meeting will take place from 7.30pm at Christleton High School.

Parish chairman Pam Evans said: 'There has been so much concern. Some residents have got quite worked up about the problems with it, concerning traffic and so on, that it was felt the best thing to do was to organise a public meeting.'

Cllr Evans said organisers Frontline Events have been invited and there would be a police representative to answer their questions.

Meanwhile, Cllr Brian Bailey, who represents Christleton, is confident the pop concert will not be granted an entertainments licence by the city's licensing panel.

Cllr Bailey, who is Conservative group leader on Chester City Council, said: 'I am confident it will not be granted a licence. The venue is unsuitable.'

He added: 'When this company Frontline Events came to us in Chester they were talking about putting it on the Roodee.

'They explained what it was they were doing and had in mind. They were told certain criteria had to be satisfied in order to have it on the Roodee and they failed to satisfy those criteria.

'If they cannot satisfy the criteria for the Roodee how do they expect to do it in a field in Christleton?'

Cllr Bailer said the 25,000 strong band of pop fans would dwarf the populations of the neighbouring villages of Christleton, Waverton, Rowton and Tarvin. He said the narrow country lanes could not cope with the influx of people and vehicles.

He said: 'Nobodywith any common sense would suggest an event of this type and magnitude.'

Organisers Frontline Events Ltd managed to submit an application for an entertainment licence by last Thursday which was close to the deadline.

The city council is now trying to organise a meeting of the licensing panel for the last week of August to discuss the application.

Frontline Events have hired consultants to produce a draft document which addresses issues including transport, parking, security, food safety and noise.

The event would start at 11am and end around 10.30pm with the possibility of a fireworks display as a finale.

Documents submitted by Frontline Events show the organisers aim to set up a one-way road system to and from the venue accessed from the a51 with parking for 8,666 cars.

Park & Ride facilities would also be made available for those hoping to avoid getting caught in a snarl-up.

The Special Events Security firm would be hired to maintain crowd control and assist the emergency services.

Noise is of concern to a number of locals. There would be noise tests before the concert started and monitoring throughout. A central complaint number would be available.

The organisers say noise levels would be reduced if at any time they exceeded those stipulated in the entertainment licence.

Members of the public must submit letters of objection or support by Monday August 27.


David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Mike Fuller
Contact Us
Full contact details