WREXHAM council chiefs say they are determined the blaze which engulfed part of Rhosnesni High School last week will not delay the completion of the £22m 'super-school' project.
More than 30 firefighters from Wrexham, Johnstown, Buckley, Chirk and Colwyn Bay were called to the fire just after 6am last Wednesday with six appliances and an aerial ladder platform. They fought to control the blaze for more than an hour.
Fire investigators were on the scene soon after to try and determine the cause of the blaze and council leaders were taken round the site by Wrexham Fire Service divisional commander Pete Lennard to view the damage to the old school hall later that day.
Mr Lennard said: 'The fire investigation officer is working in conjunction with the scene of crime officers to try to discover the cause.'
Isobel Garner, chief executive of Wrexham Council said: 'The fire took place at the former St David's site which is currently undergoing a major rebuild and is not being used by pupils or staff. The education team responded quickly and have been on site and liaising with police and fire service to assess the extent of the damage.
'We are determined this incident will not affect our ambitious plans for education in Wrexham.'
Director of Education Terry Garner said: 'With the combined efforts of builders and the authority we hope it will stay on target.'
Rhosnesni High School pupils are currently being taught on the former Groves site at Penymaes Avenue and are due to relocate to the newly refurbished Rhosnesni Lane site in the autumn.