A FAMILY had a lucky escape after a fire in their home which destroyed their newly fitted kitchen.
Firefighters from Wrexham and Johnstown were called to the property at Tan Y Clawdd, Johnstown at 4.37pm on Sunday.
The residents, a woman aged 61 and her granddaughter aged 18, had been given smoke alarms as a present, but had not got around to fitting the devices.
Luckily, the granddaughter, who has not been named, smelt smoke from another room and raised the alarm. She was given a precautionary check up at the scene.
Her grandmother later collapsed at the scene and was treated by paramedics for shock.
The fire, caused by an electrical fault in the fridge, caught hold quickly and caused 95% fire damage to the kitchen and 100% smoke damage to other rooms in the house.
Andy Robb, fire safety enforcement officer for Wrexham, said: “The residents of this house were distraught that their newly fitted kitchen was destroyed in the fire – however, they were extremely lucky to have escaped relatively unharmed.
“The property did not have any working smoke alarms fitted – if the fire had broken out during the night, we could have been dealing with another two fire deaths here in North Wales.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks to all residents in North Wales. During a check, a member of the Service will come to your home, give fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan and fit new smoke alarms – totally free of charge. To register, call 0800 1691234, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.