A DISABLED man was rescued from his flat this morning after unattended candles started a blaze.
The 60-year-old, who lives alone but is supported by care workers, had left the candles above the fireplace in his living room.
Fire fighters from Wrexham were called to the flat within the Crown Court warden-controlled complex on Phillips Road, Gwersyllt, at 6am today, Friday.
They were notified through an automatic fire detection system linked from the complex.
Upon arrival, crews found the flat to be heavily smoke logged and the 60-year-old man, who has mobility issues, in the bedroom.
They used a hose reel and four sets of breathing apparatus as well as a positive ventilation fan to extinguish the fire and clear the smoke from the property. The fire caused 5% heat damage and 30% smoke damage to the flat.
The man was given a precautionary check at the scene by paramedics but escaped unharmed.
Paul Whybro, county safety manager for Wrexham, said: “Candles left unattended are extremely dangerous. As we have seen in this incident, the small flame from a candle can caused large fire which can spread quickly.
“Luckily, smoke alarms alerted the fire and rescue service straight away and we were able to stop the fire from spreading and therefore safeguard the life of the resident, a gentleman with mobility issues, who was in bed in an adjacent room. I urge anyone using candles, please to take safety precautions.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service fit smoke alarms free as part of their free home fire safety checks. To register, call 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.