THE Egerton Arms, a country freehouse overlooking Oulton Park CC’s cricket ground in Little Budworth, has been placed on the market with a £1m pricetag after 50 years in the ownership of the same family.
Christie & C is seeking seven figures for the freehouse on behalf of Mrs Joanne Dobson, who will be retiring from the licensed trade.
A former coaching inn, the Pinfold Lane pub is close to Oulton Park Race Circuit and was first licensed as an ale house in 1797.
The inn originally belonged to the Earl of Shrewsbury and was sold to Sir Philip Grey Egerton of Oulton Hall in 1917. The pub is within Little Budworth’s conservation area. The ancient village is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
Joanne Dobson ran the pub with her husband Ken from 1970 to 1997 and she has been running the pub ever since.
The pub has a lounge cum dining room, a pool and tap room, five-bedroom owner’s accommodation, a beer garden overlooking the cricket ground, a private garden, a detached garage block and a car park.