A CREWE nightclub will be investigated by police after the death of a young drinker who downed a pint of Aftershock.
Daniel Peter Hopkins, 20, died of alcohol poisoning in January after downing the 40% proof drink at the Steam nightspot in High Street.
Coroner Nicholas Rheinburg has called for an inquiry into how he had so much of the drink in the glass.
He said: 'I intend to write to the chief officer of police with a view to investigating this matter further and to see if there is any breach in licencing laws with regard to Steam nightclub.'
An inquest into Daniel's death heard how he had been drinking with pals on Nantwich Road before heading to Steam at closing time.
It was a Monday night, student night at the club when prices are reduced.
Aftershock was sold at £1 a shot.
Witnesses told the hearing Daniel, an electrical engineer from Underwood Lane, was egged on to drink a pint glass almost full with the drink.
Thomas Butler said he saw Daniel in Steam that night: 'I heard someone say, 'Don't do it if you don't want to Danny' and he said 'I can do it, I can do it'.
'He had a pint glass in his hand containing a drink called Aftershock.
It must have contained about 10 measures. I saw Daniel drink it. He knocked it straight back in one go.'
His friends told how they were being served triple shots of the drink over the bar in the club.
Steam licencee Michael Pearson insisted that the club's policy was to only serve Aftershock in single shot glasses.
He said that anyone who appeared drunk would be asked to leave.
Daniel was helped home by his friends. When his mother Catherine went to wake him in the morning she discovered he had died.
Blood tests showed that Daniel had consumed the equivalent of more than five times the legal drink drive limit.
Recording a verdict of accidental death Mr Rheinberg added: 'This was a night out that went tragically wrong.'