BRIAN CAREY is hopeful Shaun Pejic will commit to Wrexham next week to bolster his defence for the new season.
The centre-back, who formed a strong partnership with Steve Evans last year, is yet to decide on a new two-year deal at the Racecourse.
Wrexham signed ex-Shrewsbury Town defender Richard Hope earlier this month, while full-backs Ryan Valentine, Mike Williams and Simon Spender also impressed last year.
But manager Carey hopes 24-year-old Pejic will sign to give the Dragons a formidable strength in depth at the back as they look to improve on last year’s relegation dogfight.
Carey said: “We’ve made him the offer, as we have to all the lads, so hopefully we’ll hear back from him in the next week or so. We’ve got him until the end of June so we’re just waiting for him to decide what he’s going to do, but hopefully he will be signing for us.”
After Wrexham avoided relegation with a final-day victory over Boston at the Racecourse last season, the manager said his players cannot wait to return to pre-season on July 2.
“We’ve got the players in for a bit of testing next week,” said Carey. “Then we start pre-season training on July 2. I’m in regular touch with the lads and everybody’s ready for the new season and looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.”
Meanwhile, Wrexham’s derby against Chester at the Deva Stadium has been put back one day until Sunday, March 9 at the request of the police.
That means the Dragons face two games in three days with a league trip to Wycombe on March 11.