Login Register

Watch a Christmas tree destroy a living room in seconds

Cheshire Fire and Rescue have issued the video to make people aware of dangers of Christmas lights

Do you know how long it takes a Christmas tree fire to destroy your home?

As you can see from this video, provided by Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service , a fire sparked by faulty Christmas lights can envelope a room in a shocking 46 seconds.

As Christmas approaches, it is vital to take extra care to ensure your Christmas lights are in good condition and to make sure they are turned off before you go to bed.

Keeping your tree well watered can also prevent fire from taking hold.

In 2014, more than 200 people died in fires in the home and you are at least four times more likely to die in a house fire if there is no working smoke alarm.

That's why, through the Fire Kills campaign, Cheshire Fire and Rescue are keen to spread the message of how important it is to have a smoking device that works in your home.

12 safety tips for the 12 days of Christmas:

  • Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard.
  • Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Don't leave them burning unattended.
  • Make sure your family and visitors staying for the festive period know what to do in an emergency.
  • Decorations can burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters.
  • Never overload electrical sockets. Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you to bed. Use our handy calculator to check and make your home safer:
  • The risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after alcohol is consumed.
  • Most fires start in the kitchen - never leave cooking unattended.
  • If you are planning to celebrate with fireworks, store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
  • Make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished before you go to bed.
  • Check the battery in your smoke alarm every week and use Christmas as a reminder to clean it and remove dust.
  • Keep candles, lighters and matches out of reach of children. Never leave burning candles unattended
  • Take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours this Christmas - make sure they are fire safe.



David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Mike Fuller
Contact Us
Full contact details