news

Saltney men ganged up on van driver

THREE young men who carried out an unprovoked attack on an innocent motorist who was stopped as he drove through Saltney have been locked up.

THREE young men who carried out an unprovoked attack on an innocent motorist who was stopped as he drove through Saltney have been locked up.

Kamon Thomas Cubbitt, 23 – who started off the whole incident while drunk – was jailed for 10 months and John Wycombe King, 19, and Luke Anthony Whitley, 20, each received 10 months youth custody.

They had all been convicted after trial last month of assaulting Airbus worker David Alan Mullen during an incident late on December 3, 2011.

Mr Mullen had been driving a van with a work colleague along Saltney High Street when Cubbitt walked into the road and waved his arms.

Prosecutor Karl Scholz told how Mr Mullen slowed down to about 15mph but as he drove past Cubbitt punched out at the vehicle.

Mr Mullen stopped, reversed, opened his driver’s side window and asked what the problem was.

Cubbitt swore, threatened to knock him out and threw a number of punches through the window.

As the incident continued, two others became involved and kicked Mr Mullen at least four or five times to the head. A witness said that Whitley was one of them.

A man, named by a witness as King, then ran towards him and delivered ‘a haymaker’ of a punch which knocked him back to the ground.

Cubbitt, of Moss Grove, Saltney, King, of Park Avenue, Saltney, and Whitley, of Victoria Road, denied assault occasioning actual bodily harm but were convicted.

Matthew Dunford, for Cubbitt, said his client had since stopped drinking.

John Wyn Williams, for King, said his client had previous convictions for violence.

Whitley, who had no previous convictions, was said to have had a limited role.

View full mobile page