How we use Cookies

Peckforton Castle hosts first wedding in room where groom carried out arson attack

PECKFORTON Castle has hosted its first wedding in the suite where groom Max Kay carried out his arson attack last summer.

PECKFORTON Castle has hosted its first wedding in the suite where groom Max Kay carried out his arson attack last summer.

The £6m rebuilding work to return the historic Cheshire venue to its former glory was finally completed last week.

And the first wedding in the new-look drawing room – the castle’s largest function room – went ahead without a hitch on Friday.

The four remaining bedrooms damaged in the fire, which was started deliberately by Kay in the early hours of June 19 last year, were also reopened.

Managing director Chris Naylor said he’s ‘proud’ of how the castle has been transformed.

“The restoration has given us a chance to improve existing facilities and improve both our wedding and conference offerings as well as offer a better experience for our hotel guests and local visitors,” he said.

“The marquee is down and the drawing room is open and absolutely stunning.

“Our venue is now back – bigger, better and more luxurious than ever before.”

The castle is holding a lavish relaunch party tonight (Thursday) to celebrate the refurbishment.

Brit Award winner Emeli Sandé and soul and R&B singer Lemar will both be performing at the event.

Invites have gone out to Coleen Rooney – wife of Manchester United star Wayne – and national cricket hero Freddie Flintoff.

Kay, 36, of Hunts Cross, Liverpool, will be sentenced on March 13, having pleaded guilty to arson being reckless as to whether life was endangered at Chester Crown Court in December last year.

 

Journalists

David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Reporter
Carmella de Lucia
Reporter
Rachel Flint
Reporter
Contact Us
Full contact details