Employees at an Ellesmere Port warehouse say they have voted to keep 22 months of overpaid wages.
Around 150 workers at the town's DHL site were put on a higher rate of pay for almost two years.
Now, they have voted in a ballot asking them whether or not they agree with an offer, made by DHL, to repay 50% of the money owed or to keep money handed to them after an “administrative error”.
Our sister paper The Liverpool ECHO has been told 85% of the affected workforce voted to keep the money, with the other 15% opting to accept the logistics company’s 50% payback offer.
Workers yesterday described their “horrible situation”, with some saying they owed more than £2,000.
Because the workers have kept the cash, DHL has reportedly withheld a £600 bonus that was promised to them later this month.
Instead they claim to have been told that the money would instead be used as part-repayment to the company.
One worker said: “We were due a £600 bonus at the end of this month but DHL is now saying it will use that to pay off some of the money we owe them.
“I am hoping that our union does something about it.
“It’s not actually the fact we have to give the money back, it is the way they have gone about it and the terms they have set for repayments - all it has been is you must and will give the money back.”
Workers have also been told that if they are unable to make the repayments DHL is asking for, they must bring in bank statements and mortgage or rent agreements to show all of their outgoings.
The workman continued: “We have also been told that they will start taking the money this coming payday and the money has to be paid back within 17 months.
“Coincidentally, our contracts end in 17 paydays time.
“We haven’t even had an apology. We have asked for a breakdown of all of the repayments and why we owe them the money - that also hasn’t been given to us.”
DHL has been contacted for comment