Login Register

Nick Crawshaw: Timeline of a trial from arrest to release

Hoole man released after spending 16 months in prison

Andrew Price
Nick Crawshaw, from Hoole, has been found not guilty after spending 16 months in prison in relation to sex offence allegations. Photo Andrew Price

Nick Crawshaw has been released after almost a year and a half in prison in relation to charges on which he has been found not guilty.

The 23-year-old from Hoole was cleared of a series of sex offence allegations yesterday.

He has spent 16 months in custody since being arrested for a second time in June 15, 2015.

This includes two trials, as well as a number of crown court hearings and delays as more charges were brought against him.

Following his first trial in February, his bail application was refused despite the fact he was found not guilty of the charges which had stopped him from being on remand in the first place.

Mr Crawshaw insisted throughout the allegations had been made up.

The 23-year-old wept as the unanimous verdicts were read out at the end of his retrial at Warrington Crown Court on October 18. He was freed moments later.

Below is a timeline of how the case unfolded from arrest to release.

Timeline of Nick Crawshaw trial

June 8, 2015

Mr Crawshaw is arrested and bailed in relation to charges he was cleared of in the first trial.

June 15, 2015

The 23-year-old is re-arrested after further allegations while he was on bail on which he was also found not guilty. This time he must remain in custody.

August 26, 2015

Chester Crown Court

Mr Crawshaw enters his not guilty pleas to eight charges at Chester Crown Court.

October 26, 2015

Four more charges are added to the indictment after two more complainants come forward. His trial date is put back to February.

February 9, 2016

Mr Crawshaw's initial trial begins at Warrington Crown Court. More charges have been added bringing the total to 16 relating to seven women.

March 4, 2016

After a three-week trial, the Hoole man is cleared of eight counts, including six rapes. The jury cannot reach a verdict on the other eight allegations.

March 11, 2016

Retrial date is set for November. Mr Crawshaw must remain in custody.

March 30, 2016

Mr Crawshaw's application for bail is refused.

September 28, 2016

Three more counts are added to the indictment ahead of the retrial after three more women come forward with allegations.

October 4, 2016

The retrial begins. Again it is held at Warrington Crown Court. This time he is facing 11 charges in relation to eight women.

October 13, 2016

Mr Crawshaw takes the stand. He says the allegations are  ‘100% fabrication’. He said: "I have always respected women 100%. My mum always used to have a go at me for being a womaniser. Being young and stupid, it would go in one ear and out the other, but that does not mean I would ever hurt a woman."

October 18, 2016

Mr Crawshaw is found not guilty on all charges by unanimous verdict. He is released following a 16-month prison ordeal.


David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Mike Fuller
Contact Us
Full contact details