Login Register

Nick Crawshaw found not guilty of all sex offence charges

Hoole man had faced six counts of rape, three of sexual assault and two charges of assault by penetration

Andrew Price WARNING: COST IMPLICATION. AUTHORISED FOR USE ONLY ON CHESTER CHRONICLE WEBSITE AND CHESTER PRINT EDITIONS. Nicholas Crawshaw, 23, of West Street, Chester, denies 16 sexual offences, including 10 counts of rape. Picture by Andrew Price
Nick Crawshaw was found not guilty at Warrington Crown Court

Nick Crawshaw has been cleared of all charges in relation to a series of sex offence allegations.

The 23-year-old was released at the end of an 11-day trial at Warrington Crown Court after spending 16 months in prison.

Dressed smartly in the dock as he had been throughout the trial, he wept as the verdicts were read out.

Mr Crawshaw, of West Street, Hoole , had faced six counts of rape, two of assault by penetration and three of sexual assault relating to eight women from 2010 to 2012.

A jury found him not guilty on all counts by unanimous verdicts on Tuesday (October 18).

The panel of seven men and five women retired to consider their verdicts at 11.22am, returning their decision in under four hours at 3.15pm.

Mr Crawshaw had denied all of the charges against him, saying the women had fabricated their claims.

In some of the cases he had said the incidents never happened and in others where sexual contact did occur it was consensual.

Some of the complainants were known to each other, but the 23-year-old did not know 'why they would want to tell lies' about him.

In his evidence, Mr Crawshaw said he used to be a 'womaniser' but stressed he was 'not a rapist'.

He said: "I have always respected women 100%. My mum always used to have a go at me for being a womaniser.

"Being young and stupid, it would go in one ear and out the other, but that does not mean I would ever hurt a woman."

Mr Crawshaw had also said he believed the police did not fully investigate his side, eventually getting frustrated as 'whatever I said they would just come back and charge me again'.

He was cleared of eight further allegations at an initial trial in February. The 23-year-old was refused bail following that trial, despite being cleared of the original claims which led to his arrest.

Mr Crawshaw walked free from court on Tuesday afternoon for the first time since June 2015.



David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Mike Fuller
Contact Us
Full contact details