PLANS have been put forward to build homes for adults with learning disabilities in Upton.
The proposal is to turn the former corporation yard on Flag Lane North into 24 units for people aged 16-65 with mild to moderate learning disabilities.
A Wirral-based non-for-profit company is behind the plans, and the new residents would include adults with autism, asperger’s, prada-willi and down’s syndrome.
Salisbury Independent Living provides accommodation and services for people with learning disabilities across Cheshire and Merseyside, and already own and run eight similar residences.
However, the outline plans have come under scrutiny from some homeowners whose properties back onto the proposed site.
Mike and Janet Wakeling, of Endsleigh Gardens, Upton wrote a letter to the council, concerned for the safety of the potential residents.
It said: “The site itself is right next to a main road and there is no guarantee that the residents would not understand the dangers posed by the road.
“To place vulnerable people in such a location is potentially dangerous.”
But Richard Wilkison, chief executive of Cheshire-based mental health charity MIND quashed those concerns.
He said: “Places like this are like golddust.
“The whole idea of care in the community is as much to do with the people who have learning disabilities as those with no learning problems.
“People should be able to get used to it on both sides.
“At the moment, many people with learning disabilities live in units with two or three people, so they have not got their independence.
“At this development, the residents will be very independent but there is support staff there to deal with emergencies.”
The site was previously a council highway lighting depot, and has been vacant for years, plagued with controversy over planning applications.
Outline plans for 18 apartments and six town houses were withdrawn in 2005 as were proposals for a two-storey residential nursing home in 2007.
In autumn 2008, a scheme for 14 three and four bedroom houses was also withdrawn.
In 2009, outline plans for 14 homes were rejected when the council planning board unanimously overturned the advice of its officers. But at the same time permission for 13 residences was granted, however work never began on the site.
A spokeswoman for Cheshire West and Chester planning department said: “There have been concerns raised by residents and we will follow them up.”
The final deadline for a decision is July 3.