FIREFIGHTERS were called to Nantwich Town's new stadium at Kingsley Fields on Tuesday last week after a rubberspreading machine caught fire.
A man who had been laying a synthetic pitch was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
He had been riding a quad-bike-type machine to spread rubber over the synthetic pitch, when it overheated.
Club officials were called to the stadium at Waterlode. Manager Steve Davis said: 'We could see the smoke on our way to the ground. The lad had jumped off and the important thing is that he is OK.
'It's a real shame because the pitch would have been completed tomorrow. Now we've been set back a little.'
Chairman Clive Jackson said the hand-over date of June 30 will not be affected.