news

Firefighters still at scene of Mouldsworth house fire

Crews say the building is still unsafe to enter following blaze earlier this week

The house blaze in Smithy Lane, Mouldsworth

Firefighters are still waiting outside a family home ravaged by a serious blaze as it is too unsafe to enter.

Flames ripped through the two storey house in Smithy Lane, Mouldsworth causing substantial damage at just after 1pm on Tuesday (January 27).

The building is still said to be ‘smouldering’ inside but firefighters have not yet entered the property as they need to wait for it to be made safe before they enter.

They are said to be waiting for structural engineers to give them the all clear. Then officers can go inside to investigate the cause of the fire, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service have said.

A fire engine, from Chester fire station, remained outside the family home last night as firefighters monitored hot spots, and an engine was sent to the scene at just after 8am today.

Watch manager Richie Gerrard said: “We are waiting for people to make it safe.”

Fortunately no one was in the building at the time of the fire, which involved the roof and the first floor.

Firefighters were forced to tackle the blaze from the outside after the roof later collapsed. A video shot by Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service shows the level of devastation inside the property where the first floor also appears to have collapsed.

It is not the first time the building has been affected by fire. In December 2009, a father and his then 25-year-old son were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after tackling a blaze at the house caused by a candle.

View full mobile page