A FATHER and son were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after tackling a blaze at their home caused by a candle.
Firefighters said the pair, of Smithy Lane, Mouldsworth, were lucky not to have suffered more serious injuries after entering the room where the fire broke out, risking a flash-over.
The father and his 25-year-old son, who were woken by smoke alarms at about 4am on Monday, used a washing up bowl to throw water on the blaze, which was out by the time fire crews arrived.
They had apparently been concerned for the mother, who was upstairs on crutches.
The men were given oxygen at the scene before being taken by ambulance to hospital to be treated for the effects of breathing in smoke but were later released.
Crew manager Dave Doneo, of Chester Fire Station, said: “The best advice is to keep doors closed, call 999 and get out of the property. This enables the fire to be contained in that room.”
He said the family was upset and suffering from shock. “They had a very lucky escape and were woken by the alarms,” added Mr Doneo.
It is believed the fire was caused by a tea light on the mantelpiece which they had forgotten to extinguish before going to bed.
Heat from the flame set light to combustible material. The house is still habitable.