An e-cigarette which had been left on charge caused a flat fire in Ellesmere Port last week.

Two women were rescued from the flat on Westminster Road shortly after 7pm on Thursday (June 5) and were checked over by paramedics.

The cause of the fire was deemed to be an e-cigarette that had been left on charge throughout the day.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze in a bedroom, and a large fan was then used to clear the smoke from the property.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is warning of the dangers of over-charging
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is warning of the dangers of over-charging
 

Watch manager at Ellesmere Port Fire Station Ant Fletcher said: “Thankfully no one was injured as a result of this fire and due to the bedroom door being closed the fire was contained to the bedroom and did not spread any further.

“The outcome could have been much worse which is why I want to use this case to stress the importance of people not leaving electrical items such as e-cigarettes on charge while they are away from the house or asleep, and the importance of closing doors to prevent fire spreading."

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to avoid purchasing cheap chargers and not to leave chargers unattended.

Keith Brooks, head of prevention and protection for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "With the increasing popularity of e-cigarettes, fire and rescue services across the UK have seen a number of incidents relating to them, and we need to make sure that people know the risks and how to charge them safely.

“Our advice for e-cigarettes is the same as for many smaller electrical appliances such as mobile phones and laptops - don’t be tempted to buy cheap unbranded chargers, don’t leave them to charge whilst you are out of the house or asleep and keep them well away from flammable materials.”