How we use Cookies

Discarded cigarette sparks house blaze on Blacon estate in Chester

A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette had been smouldering for up to 12 hours before triggering a house blaze.

A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette had been smouldering for up to 12 hours before triggering a house blaze.

A resident in Morton Road, Blacon, returned from the pub about 10.50pm on Sunday (January 10) to find his house filled with smoke and the sofa destroyed by fire.

Fortunately, the blaze had burnt itself out due to lack of oxygen because the house was so well sealed.

It is believed the cigarette had been discarded by the man’s mother, who also lives at the property, the day before, prior to her going to stay with friends.

The man was initially agitated in case his mother had returned home and was in the smoke-filled house. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus searched the property but there was no-one at home. A powerful fan was used to ventilate the property. There was smoke damage to the entire house.

Watch manager Chris Rodaway of Chester Fire Station said had the fire still been smouldering when the householder opened the front door, there would have been the danger of a flash-over explosion.

There were fire alarms fitted but neighbours had not heard them sounding.

 

Journalists

David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Reporter
Carmella de Lucia
Reporter
Rachel Flint
Reporter
Contact Us
Full contact details