news

Dog owners warned of toxic algae in lakes at Cheshire beauty spots

Cheshire West and Chester Council warns of poisonous substances found at Budworth Mere in Northwich and Hatchmere Lake at Delamere

Toxic algae has been found in the water at Hatchmere Lake

CHESHIRE West and Chester Council has warned dog owners to avoid walking their pets near Budworth Mere at Marbury Park, Northwich and Hatchmere Lake near Delamere.

Routine water testing carried out by the Environment Agency has discovered levels of potentially toxic blue-green algae in the water at both sites.

The toxins produce by algae are poisonous to animals and can cause severe illness and death.

If ingested, the algae can also be harmful to humans resulting in effects including vomiting, diarrhoea and fever pains in muscles and joints.

The council’s Green Space Rangers were today erecting warning notices along the banks of the Mere and staff from Cheshire Wildlife Trust were doing the same at Hatchmere.

While the Mere has developed the blue-green algal bloom annually for several years, it is believed that the current high concentration is due to the abnormal summer weather conditions.

Any members of the public wanting further information should contact the council’s Green Space Rangers on 01606 77741.

 

View full mobile page