A NANTWICH car park attendant died from alcohol poisoning, an inquest heard.
Stephen John Wickes, 45, was found dead in his flat in Pepper Street on May 19 by police officers after he had not been seen for a week.
The hearing at Crewe's Municipal Buildings on Wednesday heard Mr Wickes had a history of depression and anxiety and was known to drink heavily.
Estranged wife Patricia Wilkes, of McClaren Street, Crewe, said: 'We split up about four years before he died but we had a daughter together so I still saw him once or twice a week.
'I last saw him about a week and a half before he died and he looked well. He did drink although he realised he had a problem and went to detox a few times.'
PC Melissa Knight told the hearing. 'His neighbours said they had not seen him for a week so we got a key to the flat off the landlord. We opened the door to find a small Yorkshire terrier in the kitchen.
'As we walked through to the lounge we saw his body face down on the floor next to the sofa with a duvet wrapped around him. '
Toxicologist Dr Simon Elliot found high concentrations of alcohol in Mr Wilkes' blood and concluded he had died from acute alcohol intoxication.
Deputy coroner for Cheshire, Dr Janet Napier, recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.