Boughton: Elderly couple hospitalised after house fire

Couple escape kitchen fire after being alerted by fire alarms fitted just two days before

Firefighters battle house blaze

An 89-year-old couple escaped from a house fire after hearing their fire alarm – which had been fitted just two days earlier.

The couple were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation, following the fire at Grove Avenue in Boughton last night (Monday, August 18).

Smoke filled the kitchen after a plastic tray was left on an electric cooker, catching fire at around 7.15pm.

The elderly couple evacuated their house after hearing the smoke alarms – which had been installed by firefighters just two days earlier.

Firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, helped the couple to safety before treating them with oxygen before paramedics arrived.

They were taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

Two fire engines from Chester attended the incident, which caused smoke damage to the kitchen and hallways of the house.

White watch manager Chris Rodaway said: “Smoke alarms had been fitted only two days prior to the incident.

“Obviously last night they activated and did alert the residents, allowing them to evacuate.”

Firefighter Rodaway advised homeowners to check their smoke alarms and to contact Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service to book a home safety visit.

For more information visit Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s website.

What do you think?

What do you think about this story? Have your say by leaving your comments below.

Have your say below
 

Journalists

David Holmes
Chief News Reporter
David Norbury
Reporter
Carmella de Lucia
Reporter
Rachel Flint
Reporter
Contact Us
Full contact details